The principal stream is the Nolachucky River, which receivesas tributaries Lick Creek, Little Nolachucky, Horse Creek and Camp Creek.The soil of the county is generally fertile, with the exception of theextreme southern part, and even in this section the lands are found tobe well adapted to tobacco culture. The richest farming lands occupy thenorthern portion of the county and the bottom of the “Chucky River.”
The minerals embrace almost every variety found in EastTennessee, with the exception of coal. Iron is especially abundant in manyplaces, and has been worked with success.
The settlement of what is now Greene County was begunabout 1788. One of the first settlers was Anthony Moore, who inthat year located not far from Henderson’s Station, and whose daughteris said to have been the first white child born in the county. Other settlersfollowed soon after, and during the next two years, the greater part ofthe land, along Lick Creek and the Nolachucky River had been occupied.
Daniel Kennedy came in 1779, and located on theriver four miles east of Greenville, at the mouth of Holley Creek. He wasone of the most prominent pioneers of the State, and deserves to rank withSevier, Shelby and Cocke. He was chosen clerk of the county court uponthe organization of the county, and continued to hold it under four successivechanges of government, a sufficient proof of his integrity and worth. Hewas an ardent support of the State of Franklin, and was an active participantin the convention which founded it. He was also elected a brigadier-generalof the Franklin militia.
Among the other early settlers of the county were
James English, on the headwaters of LickCreek;
Joseph Hardin, on the Roaring Fork of Lick Creek;
George, William and Henry Conway, at the mouth of LickCreek;
Amos Bird, on the Chucky River;
Alexander Galbraith, on Sinking Creek;
James Delaney, on Holley Creek;
Lewis Brayles, on Horse Creek;
James Houston, in what is known as the Cove;
Lanty Armstrong, on the sight of Rheatown;
Robert Carr and Robert Hood, on the sight of Greeneville;
James Patterson, who had four sons -- James, Andrew,Nathaniel and William -- located on Lick Creek in 1783.
The Moores, Rankins and David Rice also settled in thesame vicinity.
A station was erected by the Carters about eight milesnorthwest of Greeneville.
Tephaniah Woolsey lived south of the river.
About 1790 a large number of Friends or Quakers beganto come into the county from Pennsylvania and North Carolina, althougha number of person of that faith had come several years before. Among thepioneers were
Garrett and Peter Dillion,
William and Abraham Smith,
Solomon, David and John B. Beales,
Samuel and Mordecai Ellis,
Samuel Stanfield and
The first religious services were held on the eleventhday of the ninth month, 1791. Other meetings were held from time to time,and on the twenty-eighth day of the second month, 1795, New Hope monthlymeeting was organized about one mile west of Rheatown where a house ofworship was erected. A church house was also erected on Lick Creek at anearly day.
While some of these Friends were slave-holders, the greatmajority was opposed to the institution of slavery, and it was among thoseearnest, simple and God-fearing people, that the first society for theabolition of negro slavery in America originated. The first branch of theTennessee Manumission Society was organized at Lost Creek Meeting-housein Jefferson County on February 25, 1815. On that day eight persons metfor the purpose of forming themselves into a society, under the style ofthe Tennessee Society for promoting the Manumission of Slaves.
These persons were
Elihu Swan and
The constitution for this society was as follows:
Each member is to have an advertisement in themost conspicious part of his house, in the following words, viz.: “Freedomis the natural right of all men. I therefore acknowledge myself a memberof the Tennessee Society for promoting the manumission of slaves.”ARTICLE II.
That no member vote for a governor or legislatorunless he believes him to be in favor of emancipation.ARTICLE III.
That we convene twelve times at Lost Creek Meeting-house.The first on the 11th of the third month next ****** shall proceed to appointa president, clerk and treasurer, who shall continue in office twelve months.ARTICLE IV.
The required qualification of our members aretrue Republican principles **** and in form of ***** and that no immoralcharacter be admitted into the society as a member.Soon after, societies were formed in Greene, Sullivan, Washington,and Cocke Counties and in Knoxville, and on the 21st of November, 115,the first general convention was held at Lick Creek Meeting-house of Friends,in Greene County. The second annual convention was held on the 19th and20th of November, 1816, at Greeneville. Unfortunately the first minutesof this society have been lost, and but little is known of the originalmembers of other branch societies. The first secretary was John Marshall.How long this society existed could not be ascertained, but the followingfacts are learned from the minutes of the eighth annual convention, heldat the Friends’ Meeting-house at Lick Creek, in Jefferson County, on August12 and 13, 1822.
The delegates present were as follows:
Green Branch -- John Marshall, Samuel McNeesand David Stanfield;The whole number of members in the various branches was reportedat 474.
Maryville Branch -- David Delzel, Isaiah Harrison, AaronHackney and Andrew Cowan;
Hickory Valley Branch -- Isaiah Harrison and John Coulson;
Nolachucky Branch -- Lawrence Earnest;
Turkey Creek Branch -- William Milliken;
Washington Branch -- Joseph Tucker;
French Broad Branch -- William Snoddy and John McCroskey;
Holston Branch -- Jesse Lockhart;
Jefferson Branch -- John and James Caldwell and ElishaHammer;
Middle Creek Branch -- John Kerr.
Beaver Creek, Sullivan, Powell’s Valley, Knoxville andNewport Branches were not represented.
James Jones was chosen president;
Thomas Doan, clerk, and
Asa Gray, treasurer.
Robert M. Anderson andwere appointed the committee of inspection for the ensuingyear. As had been the custom at each preceding convention an address advocatingthe abolition of slavery, to be distributed to the various branch societies,was prepared. Since it inaugurated the anti-slavery agitation, which culminatedin the civil war, the organization of this society must be regarded asone of the most important events in the history of the country.
Jesse Lockhart were appointed to draw up a memorialto Congress, and
Abraham Marshall and
The first Methodist society in the State was organizedin this county. It was named Ebenezer, and was established in the Earnestneighborhood some time about 1790. This neighborhood is on the NolachuckyRiver, opposite the present Fullen’s Depot.
Henry Earnest located there in 1778 or 1779. Hewas the father of five sons and six daughters, and it is said that hiswife with the children constituted four fifths of the membership of thenew church. The first church building was erected prior to 1795, as inthat year the Western Conference held its annual meeting there. From thistime for several years this church seems to have been a favorite meetingplace of the conference, that body having convened there in 1801, 1805,1807 and 1822. One of the largest camp-grounds ever built within the boundsof the Holston Conference was erected about one and one-half miles fromEbenezer, near what is now Henderson’s Depot. It was used for many yearsand was not abandoned until the civil war. It was known as Stone Dam Camp-ground.
Another Methodist society was organized at a very earlyday at Vanpet’s, in the vicinity of Carter’s Station, on the north sideof Nolachucky, in the western part of the county, where a camp-ground calledCenter was erected some time prior to 1813. The first church building wasbuilt as early as 1792.
The first Baptist Church in the county was organizedin 1793 or 1794 on Lick Creek. Among the first members were
Thomas Wyatt and
D. D. Shackleford,The name of this church in 1885 was changed to Mountain View.Among other churches of this denomination are Roaring Springs, organizedoriginally in 1817, present church of that name constituted in 1872;
Thomas D. Mason,
Jeremiah Broyle and
The magistrates present were
Amos Bird and
Daniel Kennedy was elected clerk;
James Wilson, sheriff;
William Cocke, attorney for the State;
Joseph Hardin, Jr., entry taker;
Isaac Taylor, surveyor,
Richard Woods, register, and
Francis Hughes, ranger.
For convenience the county was divided into four civildistricts, three of which lay north of the Nolachucky and French BroadRivers, which the fourth included all the residents south of these streams.For these districts the following assessors were appointed:
First -- Lanty Armstrong, Owen Owens and William Stockton;
Second -- Gideon Richie, James Dillard and Henry Conway;
Third -- Alexander Kelly, Jeremiah Jack and Henry Earnest;
Fourth ----- -----.
The constables appointed were John Hammond, James Robinson,Joseph Box and Robert Ore.
At the November session, 1783, the first grand jury wassummoned. It was composed of the following men:
Robert Allison and
four others whose names could not be deciphered.
This jury, however, found no indictments and was soondischarged. The court which was begun on February, 1784, levied a tax ofone shilling specie on each 100 pounds of taxable property for the purposeof erecting public buildings. At the same session a road was ordered tobe laid off from Robert Carr’s “to the confines of the county inthe direction of Sullivan Courthouse.” At the next term Robert Carrwas allowed £8 for the use of his house by the court while atthe same time the sheriff entered a protest against the jail erected byMr. Carr.
In May, 1785, the county was reorganized under the Stateof Franklin, and all the officers who were reappointed were required totake a new oath of office. The magistrates who appeared and qualified were
Benjamin and John Gist,
John Weir and
The old county officers were removed except DanielKennedy, clerk and Francis Hughes, ranger. The county, as awhole, was the most loyal to the Franklin government of any of the countiescomposing the State, and jealously guarded against anything tending toweaken its influence or authority.
In the records of the February session, 1786, is the followingentry:
“An anonymous printed paper, purporting to bean address to the citizens of Franklin, is judged by the court to be ascandalous, wicked and seditious libel against the States in the Union,and individuals of the Ecclesiastical order, and the same is ordered bythe court to be burnt by the High Sheriff to-morrow at four o’clock inthe afternoon.”At the next term David Crawley was brought beforethe court on a charge of “threatening the county of Greene,” and it wasconsidered “that he be bound to good behavior for one year and a day.”An amusing instance of the court’s attempt to maintain its dignity againstan irate attorney is found in the following entries in the minutes of November,1786:
“Luke Bowyer fined five shillings for insultingthe court. Fi. fa. issue for the same. Luke Bowyer fined £10 forinsulting the court and 5s for profane swearing. Fi. fa. issue for thesame.”At this juncture Mr. Bowyer doubtless bethought himself ofthe maxim, that “discretion is the better part of valor,” and submittedto the court.
“Luke Bowyer ordered to be confined in the stocks forone-quarter of an hour; ditto one hour.”
In August, 1788, however, the county passed once moreunder the authority of North Carolina, and
John McNabb,qualified as magistrates.
Joseph Hardin and
At this term new county officers were elected with theexception of clerk of the court, and the following attorneys were admittedto practice:
John McNairy,In November, 1790, the county court was once more reorganized,to comply with the government of the territory south of the river Ohio,but there were few changes in the magistrates or other officers. The samemay also be said of what occurred six years later, when the officers qualifiedaccording to the laws of the State of Tennessee.
Joseph Hamilton and
David Yearsley, attorney-general;
John F. Jack and
Samuel Y. Balch
The chancery court for the district, composed of Carter,Greene, Washington, Cocke, Jefferson and Sevier, was organized at Greenevilleon May 16, 1825, by Thomas L. Williams, then one of the judges ofthe supreme court. Of the attorneys mentioned above only Samuel Y. Balchand James Reese are known to have resided in the present limitsof Greene County. The latter was a member of one of the Franklin Assembliesand later represented Greene County in the Legislature of North Carolina.
About 1817 James W. Wyly received a license topractice, and from that time until 1835 he was one of the leading advocatesat the bar. At the latter date he removed to Missouri.
Contemporary with him were his brother, A. H. Wyly,and George T. Gillespie. The former removed to Texas during thewar between that State and Mexico, and the latter, after serving for atime as clerk and master, removed to Russellville, Tenn.
Alfred and Augustus Russell were also lawyersof some note during this period.
About 1830 Robert J. McKinney, who had studiedlaw with John A. McKinney of Rogersville, located at Greeneville.He at once took a front rank in the profession, and it is doubtful if heever had a superior as a jurist in the State. In 1848 he succeeded JudgeReese upon the supreme bench, where he continued to preside until thecivil war.
About 1835, Thomas D. Arnold, formerly of Knoxville,located at Greeneville. He was a man of only limited education, and ofsomewhat eccentric manners, but by his strong native intellect and forceof character he had already raised himself to prominence. He had serveda term in the Legislature, been attorney-general of his circuit, and hadheld a seat in the XXII Congress. He engaged actively in the practice ofhis profession and in politics at Greeneville, and in 1840 he was electedto represent the First District in Congress.
In 1841 David T. Patterson was admitted to thebar. He had studied in the office of Judge McKinney, and was wellequipped for the practice of his profession. In 1854 he was elected judgeof the First Judicial Circuit, and six years later he was re-elected. Afterthe close of the war he served four years in the United States Senate,and since his retirement has not be engaged in the practice of his profession.
In 1846 Samuel Milligan, also a pupil of JudgeMcKinney, began the practice of law, but as more extended mention ofhim is made elsewhere it will not be repeated here.
Among the other attorneys prior to the war were
James W. Hale (who died in 1842),
Robert M. Barton,
J. Britton, Jr.,
J. G. Rose and
The members of the Greeneville bar at the presenttime are
R. M. McKee,
A. M. Shown,
Dr. W. A. Harmon,
R. D. Harmon,
J. E. Hale,
A. B. Wilson and
W. F. Milburn.
The first settlers in the vicinity besides Carr were WilliamDunwoody (properly Dinwiddie), and Robert Hood, all of whomlocated about 1780 or 1781. Hood lived on what is now the south edge oftown, on land owned by Mrs. Walker. Dunwoody is said to have kepta tavern near the site of Self’s hotel, but the first house of entertainmentwas kept by Robert Carr, who in 1784 erected a house on the north sideof Main Street, afterward occupied by Dr. James Isbell.
The tavern rates as fixed by the court were:
liquor, half-pint, 6d.;
pasture and stable, 6d.;
corn, per gallon, 8d.;
oats, per gallon, 6d.
The first courthouse was completed about 1785, andin November of that year the third Franklin convention was held in it.Afterward it served as the meeting place for the Commons, while the Senatemet in Carr’s old house near the Big Spring. The building is describedby Ramsey as follows:
“It was built of unhewn logs, and covered withclapboards, and was occupied by the court at first without a floor or loft.It had one opening only for an entrance, which was not yet provided witha shutter. Windows were not needed, either for ventilation or light, theintervals between the logs being a good substitute for them.”It stood at the lower corner of the present courthouse lot.It was used until about 1804 or 1805, when both a courthouse and new jailwere erected. The latter was built of stone and stood near the middle ofEast Depot Street. It has had two successors, one completed in 1830, ata cost of $1,700, and the other built in 1882. It is constructed entirelyof stone and iron, and cost $14,000. The third and present courthouse waserected about 1822-23. In 1870 a front, containing four offices and twostair-cases, was added.
William Dickson began business some time priorto 1800, and continued as one of the leading merchants until his death,a period of nearly half a century. He was a man of wealth, and served twoterms in Congress, from 1801 to 1805.
Joseph Brown and John Russell both openedstores about 1800, the former in a small frame house where the PresbyterianChurch now is, and the latter on the lot now occupied by Brown & Brown.
Among the other residents of the town at about this timewere
James Stinson, county register and tavern keeper;In 1819 the merchants of Greeneville were
Robert Kyle, a tailor, and
Valentine Sevier, clerk of the county court.
Deaderick & Sevier,At this time Greeneville had ceased to be a village and hadbecome a town of some 600 or 700 people. It was a good business point,and during the next decade it continued to improve. The merchants wereprosperous, and many of them acquired a large amount of wealth; hence,a sort of aristocracy sprang up, which, on political issue, was opposedby the mechanics and the laboring class generally.
Henry & Peter Earnest,
Lewis H. Broyles & Co.,
John C. Greenway & Co., and
Joseph Allen & Co.
Among the latter the leaders were
Mordecai Lincoln and
The last named was a plasterer and is still living.
Mr. Lincoln was a tanner and also carried on ashoe and saddler’s shop. He was a relative of Abraham Lincoln andis said to have been very much like the latter, both in character and personalappearance.
Mr. Johnson arrived at Greeneville, from NorthCarolina, in September, 1826, and finding a good opening for a tailor,he concluded to locate. He was accompanied by his mother and stepfather,and they took up their residence in a small frame building nearly oppositeSpencer and Brown’s factory. Andrew worked for a time in a shop on MainStreet, but subsequently removed to the corner of Depot and Water Streets.Meanwhile he had married, and he now purchased the brick house oppositehis shop, where he continued to reside for several years. In 1828, in anelection for alderman, he led the opposition to the aristocratic elements,and was successful. This he repeated two years later with the same result.
At about this time a debating society was organized, andto it Mr. Johnson doubtless owed much of his future success. The originof this society is described by Mr. McDaniel, a surviving member,as follows: Johnson and McDaniel were intimate friends, and both, duringtheir leisure hours, were fond of discussing current political topics.
They finally became involved in a discussion of the meritsof a bill then lately passed by the Legislature, extending the criminallaws of the State over that part of the Cherokee Nation in Tennessee, Mr.McDaniel advocating the measure and Mr. Johnson opposing it.The discussion continued until at last a challenge to a public debate wasmade and accepted.
Assistants were chosen and other preliminaries arranged,and on the following Saturday night the disputants, together with a smallaudience, assembled at the shops of Mordecai Lincoln. None of thempresent except Mr. Lincoln knew anything of parliamentary proceedings;therefore, he was made chairman. Mr. McDaniel opened the debate,but Mr. Johnson refused to speak until all the others had finished,and then he proceeded with great trepidation. This debate led to the organizationof a society which met every week, and some times twice a week, for twoor three years, and Mr. Johnson soon became one of its most active membersand best speakers.
The subject of education early engaged the attentionof the people of Greene County, and Greeneville College, the first collegein the State, was incorporated in 1794. The trustees were
Joseph Hardin, Sr.,
John Rhea and
Hezekiah Balch was chosen president, and RobertHenderson, vice-president. The first meeting of the trustees was heldat the house of James Stinson on February 18, 1795.
Robert Henderson,were appointed to prepare a memorial to the President andCongress of the United States, soliciting assistance for the college. ThisMr. Balch offered to present.
Joseph Hamilton and
He soon after started upon a trip to Philadelphia andthe Eastern States, and, upon his return, reported that had collected andbrought a large number of books, and received $1,352 in cash donationsand $350 of subscriptions. It was then decided to erect a frame building60x30 feet, two stories high. Messrs. Balch, Hardin, Kennedy andHenderson were appointed to fix upon a site for the building inthe neighborhood of Mr. Balch’s plantation about three and one-halfmiles from Greeneville.
It was also resolved “that the board propose a lotteryfor the purpose of increasing the funds sufficiently for building the abovehouse, the sum to be $1,000, and Gov. Sevier, John Rhea and JosephHamilton be a committee to prepare a scheme.” Whether this resolutionwas carried into effect is not known. In August, 1796, the trustees heldanother meeting, at which time Mr. Balch offered to donate 150 acres tothe college, but the conditions upon which he proposed to make the donationwere such that the trustees refused it. The plan for a building, presentedat the previous meeting, was found to be too expensive, and it was decidedto erect a house 32x26 feet, two stories high, “with a stock of chimniesat each end.”
From this time until March 8, 1800, if any meetings wereheld, the minutes have been lost; at the latter date Rev. Charles Coffinwas elected vice-president to succeed Rev. Mr. Henderson and wascommissioned to go to the Northern and Eastern States to solicit subscriptions.The college building had not yet been completed, and there is no evidencethat the school had been put into operation.
On July 1, 1803, the president was authorized to havethe schoolroom glazed, and made comfortable for the accommodation of pupils,and this was probably about the date at which the college was opened. Thefirst mention of any graduate was in 1808, when Hugh Brown receivedthe degree of A. B. After four years of labor, soliciting donations forthe college, Mr. Coffin returned in 1805, and reported that he hadsecured about $14,000, of which $8,855.96 came from the “other side ofthe mountains.” These funds placed the college upon a firmer foundation,and it at once entered upon a prosperous career. In 1810 Mr. Balch died,and was succeeded by Mr. Coffin, who continued at the head of the institutionuntil 1827, when he accepted the presidency of East Tennessee College.His successor was Henry Hoss, for a short time as president protem., and in 1838 Rev. James McLin succeeded him. It was then decidedto remove to Greeneville, and a committee was appointed to superintendthe erection of a building at that place. This building was completed in1841 upon a lot in the northeast part of town, donated by ValentineSevier. From some cause, however, the college failed to prosper, andafter three or four changes in presidents, among whom were Samuel Matthews,Charles A. Van Vleck, and J. J. Fleming, the college was suspended.In 1854 Rev. William B. Rankin, then principal of Rhea Academy,was elected, and so continued until the suspension of the schools by thewar.
In 1818 Dr. Samuel Doak, who had formerly beenpresident of Washington College, came to Greene County and establisheda school known as Tusculum Academy. It soon became known as an excellentinstitution, and in 1842, under the management of Rev. Samuel W. Doak,who had succeeded his father, it was incorporated, with the following boardof trustees:
Samuel W. Doak, president;About 1845 five acres of land were donated by Mr. Doak,and the two-story brick building, which is still occupied, was erectedupon it. Previous to that time a small house, still standing just backof the Doak mansion, had been occupied by the academy for several years.
R. J. McKinney,
Thomas D. Arnold,
R. M. Woods,
Rev. Isaac Braughan,
F. A. McCorcle,
William M. Lowry,
James Hale and
Mr. Doak continued as president until his death, aboutthe close of the war.
At that time both Greeneville and Tusculum Colleges werein a somewhat demoralized condition, and it was decided to consolidatethe two institutions under the name of Greeneville and Tusculum College.This was accomplished in 1868, and Dr. W. S. Doak became president.He continued at the head of the college until his death in 1882, althoughthe year previous he was elected State superintendent of public instruction.In 1883 Rev. Jere Moore, the present president, was elected. Duringthe past year one of the finest college buildings in the State has beenerected at a cost of about $14,000, the greater portion of which was donatedby the widow of the late Cyrus W. McCormick, of Chicago.
The present faculty is as follows:
Rev. Jere Moore, A. M., president andprofessor of mental and moral science;
L. C. Haynes, A. M., professor of mathematicsand physical science;
T. S. Rankin, P. S., professor of natural scienceand English literature;
Rev. W. C. Clemens, A. B., professor of Greek;
Rev. S. A Coile, A. M. Vice-president and professorof Latin;
Eduard Lindemann, professor of music and modernlanguages.
Rev. Samuel Doak in 1780, and that thechurch was organized about three years later byThe first exercises were said to have been held under a clumpof trees near the Big Spring.
Rev. Hezekiah Balch, who became the first pastor.The elders were
Maj. Temple and
In 1792 James Galbraith, for $10, deeded threeacres and four poles of land, near the head of Richland Creek, to
Anthony Moore,elders of Mount Bethel Church. Whether any house had beenerected before this time is not known, but it is probably that a log buildinghad been used. The earliest church of which there is any certain knowledgewas a frame house which stood on what is now a vacant lot adjoining theold cemetery on the north side. The congregations which assembled herewere very large, embracing the greater part of the people for ten milesaround.
David McGill, and
In 1796, after the return of Dr. Balch from his trip toNew England, mentioned in connection with Greeneville College, he beganto expound the Hopkinsian doctrines, and affirmed his belief in them. Thisproduced a schism in the church, and after a long contest before PresbyterianSynod and general assembly the faction apposing Dr. Balch withdrew andwas organized into a separate congregation with Rev. James Witherspoonas pastor, under the old name of Mount Bethel. They erected a log church,near where Spencer & Brown’s factory now is, and there continued toworship until 1815, when they removed to a point one mile east of town,where the present substantial brick church now stands.
The early ministers of this congregation were as follows:
James Witherspoon, 1798-1807;
John W. Doak, 1807-09;
James Balch, 1809-12;
S. W. Doak, 1813-44; and
S. W. Wyly.
The Balch faction of the old Mount Bethel congregationadopted the name of Harmony Church, and Mr. Balch continued as pastor untilhis death. In 1805, Rev. Charles Coffin began preaching to the congregationone third of his time, and from 1808 to 1820 he divided his time betweenGreeneville and Jonesboro. In the latter year, he was succeeded at Greenevilleby Christopher Bradshaw, who preached alternately at Harmony andTimber Ridge until 1827. His successor was Dr. F. A. McCorkle, whohad been engaged in the practice of medicine for about ten years. he continuedthe practice of his profession and also remained pastor of these churchesuntil 1855, when he was succeeded at Greeneville by Rev. Ira Morey,the principal of the female academy. He continued about twenty months,and was succeeded by Rev. E. T. Brantley, who preached to the congregationfrom 1857 to 1860. Dr. McCorkle then filled the pulpit until thebeginning of the war. In 1865 the elders of the church were
Samuel Milligan,Rev. J. W. Elliott was received as stated supply,continuing until 1867. His successors have been
Joseph R. Brown,
J. A. Galbraith,
Dr. E. M. Shiffey and
Rev. Isaac. S. Bonham, withtwo or three others as elders. The membership was small,but they succeeded in erecting a small frame house in the southwest partof the town, where they continued to worship until 1860. In that year,under the ministry of Rev. John P. Holt, the present large brickbuilding at the corner of Church and Main Streets was begun, but was notcompleted until after the close of the war. The present membership of thechurch is about 100.
Lewis S. Self,
Thomas Davis and
William Goodman,Afterward the congregation removed to a frame house, whichhad been erected at the southwest end of Main Street. This building wasdestroyed by fire and was replaced by the present brick structure, whichis now occupied by the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Richard M. Woods,
William A. Hankins,
Isaiah Harrison and
Gen. T. D. Arnold and wife,The first minister was
Mordecai Lincoln and wife,
Mrs. John Dickson,
Mrs. Matilda Martin,
Mrs. Catherine Williams,
Miss Mary Lincoln and
Dr. McCabe; his successors wereThe congregation was never a large one and, owing to deathsand removals, it has been still further decreased, and for several yearsno regular services have been held.
A. M. Royce and
W. W. Cahagan.
In 1844, the Greeneville Miscellany was publishedby Charles P. Byers, and in 1849 the Greeneville Spy wasestablished. The first editors and managers were Charles Johnsonand J. B. R. Lyon. With the exception of about two years its publication,under several successive managers, was continued until the war. In thefall of 1858 the Greeneville Democrat was established by H. G.Robertson. The next year the name was changed to the GreenevilleBanner. It was a radical Southern Right paper, which he continued toissue until the occupation of the town by the Federals, in 1863. For thelast few weeks it was issued as a small tri-weekly. During the fifties,also, a religious paper known as the American Presbyterian was publishedby J. Dobson. In 1865 J. B. R. Lyon established the NewEra which he continued under that name until 1886, when he changedit to the Republican. Early in the seventies two papers, the Sentineland the Reporter, were established, the latter by the evangelist,Samuel W. Small. The two were soon consolidated and published fora time as the Sentinel and Reporter.
In May, 1879, J. Lyon issued the first numberof the Greeneville Democrat, which he has since continued, and which hasbeen an almost phenomenal success. It has reached a circulation of over1,900 copies, and yet almost the entire work of the office has been doneby Mr. Lyon. It is safe to say that no other weekly paper in the Stateoutside of the cities, has an equally large circulation. Several otherpapers of short duration have also been published from time to time. Amongthose were the Herald, National Union, Intelligencer andBulletin.
Greeneville, during the past few years, has increasedrapidly in both populations and wealth. Since the introduction of tobaccoraising into the county it has become an important market for this crop,and the manufacture and shipment of tobacco is now one of the leading industries.The firms engaged in its manufacture are the
East Tennessee Manufacturing Company, theThe commercial interests are represented as follows:
Greeneville Manufacturing Company and
Howard & Alexander. The other manufacturers of thetown are
Brown & Mosier, handle and spoke factory,
Lamon Bros., wagon factory;
Spencer & Brown, drugs and medicines;
Stephen Bros., woolen-mill, and
R. Snapp and
J. R. Brown, tanneries.
W. H. Williams,The Bank of Greeneville was established in 1887 by JudgeHacker & Bro. and John Brobson.
David R. Britton,
M. P. Reeves,
George P. Park & Co.,
W. R. Brown,
J. R. Brown and
Trim & Hardin, dry goods and groceries;
Boyd & Park and
Isaac O’Harrell, drugs;
W. C. Willis, hardware;
W. G. Gass, queenware;
W. B. Taylor and
L. W. Tipton, groceries;
J. M. Sanders and
Mercer & Co., furniture; and
R. Snapp and
J. R. Brown, saddlery and harness.
James Allen, a merchant, who was succeeded bySome time in the twenties a Methodist Church was built atthe upper end of the town, and about 1845 a new frame building was erectedjust above the old one. About 1850 the Presbyterians organized a churchand built a house. Since the war the members of the Methodist EpiscopalChurch South have erected a new church edifice. In 1872 an academy wasbuilt by Nolachucky Lodge, No. 323, F. & A. M., and since that timea very excellent school has been maintained there.
Joseph & Nicholas Earnest;
Joseph Whinnery, a hatter;
William Aiken, a tanner;
Thomas & William Handley, tailors;
John Mathes, a cabinet-maker; and
John Wright, who ran a saw and gristmill.
Reuben Roder; a general store, byWarrensburg, situated in the Fourth Civil District, is theoldest village in the county, and at one time was a place of no littleimportance. The site was entered during the first settlement of the countyby Robert Warren, from whom it took its name. The business of thevillage now consists of two general stores owned by
D. R. Gass & Co.; and a drug store, by
J. A. Banghard.
J. C. Maloney and
R. J. Kidwell, and a drug store conducted by
Daniel Kennedy 1783-1802;Clerks of the circuit court:
Valentine Sevier, 1802-10;
Andrew Patterson, 1810-34;
Merryman Payne, 1834-36;
George W. Foute, 1836-52;
E. W. Headrick, 1852-68;
V. S. Maloney, 1868-82;
W. H. Piper, 1882.
Valentine Sevier 1810-54;Clerks and masters:
William West; 1854-56;
M. L. Patterson, 1856-62;
William West 1862-65;
D. R. Britton, 1865-86;
J. B. Walker, 1886.
George T. Gillespie, 1825-36;Sheriffs:
Merryman Payne, 1836-43;
David Sevier, 1843-70;
Henry A. Wilde, 1870-76;
A. W. Walker, 1876-80;
W. A. Allen 1880-86;
J. K. P_____, 1886.
James Wilson, 1783-85;Trustees:
James Houston, 1785-86;
John Tadlock, 1786-87;
James Richardson, 1787-92;
William L. Lovely, 1792-94;
George Conway 1794-1800;
John Newman, 1800-02;
Christopher Conway, 1802-04;
James Patterson, 1804-06;
Andrew Patterson, 1806-08;
James Patterson, 1808-10;
Daniel Guin, 1810-12;
James Patterson, 1812-14;
Daniel Guin, 1814-18;
Hugh Carter 1818-24;
Alfred Hunter; 1824-26;
Richard M. Woods 1826-40;
James Britton, 1840-46;
Loyd Bullen, 1846-50;
D. R. Johnson, 1850-54;
James Jones, 1854-60,
James G. Reeves, 1860-66;
A. W. Walker, 1866-74;
William S. White, 1874-78;
A. J. Frazier, 1878-84;
W. I. Dodd, 1884-86;
A. J. Stephens, 1886.
Thomas Doan, 1796-1804;Registers:
James Shields, 1804-18;
Joseph Brown, 1818-20;
W. K. Vance, 1820-34;
James R. Isbell, 1834-36;
ichard West, 1836-44,
William West, 1844-52;
A. R. Anderson, 1852-58;
Elbert F. Mercer, 1856-48;
James W. Cloyd, 1868-74;
Charles O. Park, 1874-82;
J. R. Hughes, 1882-84;
J. A. Rader, 1884-86;
J. W. McDaniel, 1886.
Richard Woods 1783-84;
Robert Carr, 1785-87;
John Hardin, 1787-89;
John Stone, 1789-94;
James Stinson, 1794-96;
James Dunwoody, 1796-98;
James Stinson, 1798-1806;
George Brown 1806-36;
Silas E. Burnett, 1836-42;
Thomas Lane 1842-74;
T. R. McCollum, 1874-78;
J. W. Bower 1878-84;
O. T. French, 1886.
Table of Contents Page
Greene County TNGenWeb Home Page
This page last updated on Friday, October 10, 2003