E. M. Perine
[John M. Gwin Note: AnnaM. Gayle Frye in her Memories of Old Cahaba, reports on page27:"On the southwestcorner of Vine and Second North Streets, opposite the Bell Tavern, wasan imposing two-story brick building, erected for W. P. Dunham (the fatherof Mrs. H. V. Weedon and Miss Willie Dunham), another wealthy merchantof Cahaba in its early history. In the fifties this was the handsomeestablishment of E. M. Perine,who later on became one of the firm of Perine & Hunter. In thecenter of the block across the street was another dry goods firm of note--Warford& Blackwell.Opposite page 31 of her book, Ms. Frye also showsthis photograph revealing a "view of Vine Street" and Perine's store. Thisphoto was obviously taken in the winter and evidently after the town hadall but died, due to the boarded up doors and windows. Perhaps the picturewas taken for or by Ms. Frye herself about the time of the book's writing.
All of these houses carriedelegant stocks of goods, and their immense sales amounted to princely incomes. There were many other smaller stores and shops which also did a good business,for at this time Cahaba was still the largest shipping point on the AlabamaRiver. Thousands of bales of cotton were handled there during theseason, money was plentiful and always in circulation; the people spentlavishly and enjoyed all that life could give."
Here is my transcription of the document,photos of which follow.]
*[JohnM. Gwin Note: Anna M. Gayle Frye in her Memories of Old Cahaba,reports on page 21:"In 1853 Mr.Thomas J. Portis was Principal of theAcademy. He afterwards became one of the most prominent lawyers and influentialcitizens of Cahaba, where he resided until after the Civil War. In 1857-58Professor Town became Principal. In 1860 Mrs. Roberson and Mrs. Adams,two accomplished ladies, had it in charge..."Mr. Portis is listed on the statement of accountas the Administrator of the Estate of William A. Spears.]
Above: This smaller version of the back of the statementshows where it was folded into vertical quarters and perhaps stored ina standing file of paid accounts. The text reads: